Saturday, March 25, 2006

Programming contest fortunes

Ah! Programming contests. Places where crazy geeks code like madmen to solve ridiculously pointless problems. Well I've always found them good fun, although I've never really done too well in them. Generally, I get the right algorithm, but get confused for some reason or the other, and then modify it so it doesn't satisfy all test cases.

Well, I finally had some success at a programming contest. I managed to qualify for Round 1 of Google Code Jam India 2006. Although, I must admit the problem I solved was easy, I did solve it very quickly. For once, none of the gremlins that normally turn up when I program stayed home.

Round 1 was yesterday, and well, the gremlins returned. I was misled by one test case and modified the algorithm I had. Even this algorithm I got on the second try( I didn't read the question thoroughly :D ). Plus the usual goof-ups, like typographical errors and improper conditional statements, returned to haunt me.

One good thing though, is that I quite liked the TopCoder interface used for the contest. So, I went and registered at TopCoder, so I can keep practising. In general, I find the problems a lot more solvable than those at ACM-ICPC.

The contest manager used by TopCoder is also pretty cool. I also like the contest manager CCPE made by Sreepathi and Keyur (who are good pals of mine). They, along with Ankur, are also the best programming team in our college. The manager used at CRCE, Bandra is also pretty good.

Let's hope I can keep improving my programming and at least win something.

No comments: